Monday, August 11, 2008

Making Art about People for People



I make constructions about People

Little revelations of How to Be. Some of these are commissions, and some I do because I cannot resist the urge.

The woman with crossed arms laughing is my mother Tessie standing in front of the maple cabinet that looks like one of my altar pieces, or vice versa. The little shrug of her shoulders and teasing smile imply a shared inside joke with the photographer, in this case me.


This picture is from my brother's 2006 July birthday when Tess made a memorable strawberry pie.


The little altar photo is Tess stringing beans in October of 2007. We had just returned from a long trip to the clinic in Walla Walla where the plan to treat her advanced lung cancer was laid out. I printed the picture then made a little altar on a shelf in my studio with symbols relevant to the 59 years I had spent with her.


When working with a client I try to work from a mandala pattern. The very center being the image of the person , as they would want to be seen. That image of ourselves that we recognize in the minds eye. If I could take a photo of the soul, that would be the center.


Next layer around the Soul are the beloved people and things of this world.


It is hard work peeling back the facade, but when done, we are all more alike than not.




No comments: